Striking a balance between being a loving parent and a disciplining guardian,handling crucial years of adolescence and impact of television and media, practicing the timeless wisdoms of Vedic culture in this fast-paced era, harnessing and dovetailing the inborn potential of the child in the direction of the ultimate goal of life have long been the crucial challenges of parenting.
Its not always easy road bringing up the children in this world. “By the time you realize that your parents were right,you have children who think that you are wrong”, read on a poster displayed on the wall of one grihastha family in their living room. This wonderful book contains illuminations on many dimensions of the relationship between the parents and their children. It gives the reader valuable tips that blend spiritual principles with practical realities. Coming from the experiences and realizations of a wide variety of devotees, some men and some women, some housholders and some from the renounced order of life, this book makes for a comprehensive guide for those who are parents, those who want to be parents, those who wish they never became parents and also for those who guide parents and children. To all these devotees engaged in this valuable service of helping young minds grow in the soothing and blissful light of Krishna consciousness, this book will give much guidance, inspiration and relief as well.
This book is a compilations of articles by different devotees, all combined under the able and inspired guidance of HG Radheshyam Das Brahmacari, who took this initiative and effort to bring out this helpful and much needed volume for the devotee community. All glories to him and his team in VOICE publications.
1. Vision – Garden of Parenting – 5 articles written by HH Gopala Krishna Goswami, Radhanath Swami, Lokanath Swami, Bhakti Caru Swami and Romapada Swami
2. Responsibility – Becoming Expert Gardeners – articles on Parenting and Partnership, Samskaras, Healthy marriage, healthy children, Role of the father in raising chidren, role of the mother in raising children, Spiritual perfection in houshold life.
3. Training – Preparing the Soil – Learning the Science and Practicing the art (7 articles)
4. Education – Sowing the right Seeds – What does the child really need, Principles of Vedic culture and Parenting, Homeschooling, Educational dilemma for devotee parents,Relationship between the parents and teachers, Learning through play, Appreciating Art.
5. Culture – Watering and Fencing our tender Saplings – Benefits of Joint family, Role of elders, Adorable parents and grateful children, Mirror of true friendship, Impact of TV and other electronic media, Protecting our children – what parents need to know.
6. Respect – Blossoming bud to Flower – Teenage turmoil – challenges and solutions, Crucial teens, the graduate.
Other contributors: Jagannatheswari dd, Uttama dd, Radharaman Das, Sankarshan Das Adhikari, Yudhisthir Das, Radharani dd, Ramsevak Das, Tapasvini dd, Krishnanandini dd, Jahnava dd, Kamalalochan Das, Pranavallabhi dd, Bhakti Vidyapurna Swami, Aruddha dd, Bhakti Raghav Swami, Urmila dd, Rasarani dd, Hemangi Gopi dd, Kalacakra Krishna das, Vrajarani Priya dd, Tamohara das, Sita dd, Archana Siddhi dd, and others.